Re: positioned elements: center

On Jan 8, 2008, at 8:02 AM, John Oyler wrote:

> These are problematic. 0% on each centers the element? So if I want
> it to the left or above center, I have to use negative numbers? I
> don't like that. Offsetting the center of an element is nice, but
> it should be offset from the top, so that center: 50% centers the
> thing. For an element that is height:10%, setting center-y:5%
> should have the top edge lined up with that of the parent element.
> This seems more intuitive for me.

Actually that was my first instinct, until I realized that if
"center" was to be equivalent to "left" , "right", "top", or
"bottom", then its namestake value should be 0. In other words,
"bottom:0" means the bottom edge goes all all the way to the bottom
of its container, "left:0" means the left edge goes all the way to
the left of its container, so it makes sense from that viewpoint for
"center:0" to mean the center is aligned with the center of its
container.

But I can see your point too.