Re: flowing around both sides of a float

On Jan 4, 2008, at 6:37 AM, John Oyler wrote:

> CSS should be a long length of rope, more than enough to hang
> yourself with, in my own opinion. If the advanced features of it
> turn it into a page description language, so be it. It'd still be
> superior to PDF in several ways. Html is many things, and
> documentation is only one of them.
>
> If there are real examples in typography of centered floats, then
> it seems only reasonable that CSS might allow the same. If it were
> impossible or difficult to implement, this would be a valid reason
> for keeping it out of the spec. But if that (or some other
> pragmatic reason) is not the case, then it would be a mistake to
> keep it out.

I totally agree with all that, except that I believe floats can and
are used for more than just the typographical pull quote type of
examples that come most readily to mind. People use them all the time
when they need block level items that are "shrink wrapped" and will
not overlap other objects. But we are pretty limited in where we can
stick them on the page.