Re: [CSS21] Height of cell box should not be influenced by 'height'

On Jan 2, 2008 12:17 PM, White Lynx <whitelynx@operamail.com> wrote:

> This changes meaning of table cell's vertical-align property. Currently it defines vertical alignment
> of content withing table cell, you want it to change to something that defines vertical alignment
> of cell within table row.

I'm not sure of this. The spec says:
  "The 'vertical-align' property of each table cell determines its
alignment within the row."
What is not clear in the spec is how this alignment is obtained. From
the diagram it appears that it is obtained adding/distributing where
necessary extra top and bottom padding to the cells. This padding is
necessary to make all cells to 'fill' the row.  But I haven't found
this explicitly mentioned.

You seem instead to assume that the vertical alignment is obtained
somewhat adding top and bottom margin to a block (anonymous) container
wrapping the cell content. Or maybe something else?

> Note that presentationwise you actually remove important functionality.

I can't figure out what can be lost. The two ways of 'interpreting'
things seem to me to give the same possibilities. But I'm probably
missing something. An example would help.

Bruno

--
Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test