RE: [CSS21] [css3-text] What does 'text-transform: capitalize' mean, exactly?

For people who don't have a PC to test with... Both IE and Microsoft Word do "I.E." and "(C)" (exactly same as what you see in WebKit). Word's option is actually called literally "Capitalize Each Word", leaving smarter capitalization to humans.

-----Original Message-----
From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of fantasai
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 1:45 PM
To: L. David Baron; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [CSS21] [css3-text] What does 'text-transform: capitalize' mean, exactly?

L. David Baron wrote:
> I just wrote a not-very-complicated testcase for 'text-transform:
> capitalize':
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2008Oct/att-0018/text-transform-capitalize.html
>
> However, it shows up differently in Mozilla, WebKit, and Opera.
> For example, the text "(i.e.," turns into
>   "(i.e.," in Opera
>   "(I.e.," in Mozilla
>   "(I.E.," in WebKit
>
> Which is correct, and should this be defined in CSS 2.1 (perhaps in
> terms of Unicode character classes)?
>
> The spec currently says:
> # capitalize
> #     Puts the first character of each word in uppercase; other
> #     characters are unaffected.
> --http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#caps-prop

I suspect that in the ideal case, the behavior would be tailored by
language. If someone can make a strong case for a particular set of
Unicode-based heuristics as a baseline, then maybe we can include
it as an example in CSS3 Text. Otherwise I'd just leave it undefined.
Certainly for 2.1 I'd leave it undefined.

~fantasai