Re: [css3-fonts] Nested 'bolder' and 'lighter' question

On Friday 2008-08-29 17:48 +0200, Bert Bos wrote:
> Another way to solve issue 48 may be to re-use the concept of "first
> available font" that we introduced to define the value of 'ex'.

That seems reasonable, although it has some disadvantages for
mixed-language text.

One practice that may be used for languages that write with
non-Latin script but occasionally use Latin-script words in their
documents may be to specify:
  font-family: fonts with Latin glyphs, fonts with local glyphs, generic;
because fonts designed for non-Latin scripts often have Latin
glyphs, but they're not always particularly high-quality, and
authors may want to avoid them.  (I think I've heard of this being
done somewhere.)

I'm not sure how common this practice is, but increased use of the
"first available font" solution doesn't work well with it.

-David