RE: [css3-fonts] Nested 'bolder' and 'lighter' question

> The question is one of intent, I think.  What are some cases where
> this actually comes up?  What sorts of semantics would most often
> dictate the use of nested bolder/lighter?  I can't come up with an
> example that's not pretty contrived.

This, too has been bothering me. I've never seen (or imagined) a real-life use for this. This is why I suggested "normal" because nesting spans to achieve a visual result is a no-no in best practices. From a typographic point of view, the only way I could see a scenario like this playing out would be to apply color, not font weight.

Imagine a paragraph that has three different font weights being used. It can easily become unreadable.

FWIW,

-=-
Molly E. Holzschlag
Web Standards and Practices Education and Outreach
Molly.Com, Inc.

http://molly.com/