Re: [css3-fonts] Nested 'bolder' and 'lighter' question

On Aug 27, 2008, at 11:23 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> The spec isn't clear on what exactly happens here, so the CSSWG
> decided to ask web designers what they expect. So far I have two
>
> fantasai wrote:
>> Given
>>  <a>
>>    Text A
>>    <b style="font-weight: bolder">
>>      Text B
>>      <c style="font-weight: bolder">
>>        Text C
>>        <d style="font-weight: lighter">
>>          Text D
>>        </d>
>>      </c>
>>    </b>
>>  </a>
>> If you have three different weights in your font (normal, bold,
>> extra-bold) then
>>  - Text A will be normal
>>  - Text B will be bold
>>  - Text C will be extra-bold
>>  - Text D will be bold
>> If you have only two weights in your font (normal, bold) then
>>  - Text A will be normal
>>  - Text B will be bold
>>  - Text C will be bold
>> What should Text D be? Bold or normal?
>
> I would say bold, if I were being so bold. -- Andy Clarke
>
> I say it goes to normal. -- Molly Holzschlag
>
> ~fantasai

This looks to me like a good reason not to use bolder and lighter.
That said, it seems clear that the author intended the four weights in
the four places listed first. The one that failed was the extrabold of
C. That should not also cause the intended bold of D to fail too. The
UA should not try to determine if D<C is more important to this
particular author than D=B, but rather just limit the damage to C
being  not really bold enough.

So I would say D=bold.