Re: text-overflow: ellipsis

2008/8/16 David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>:

> Ambrose Li wrote:
>>
>> No, there is no Unicode character for the 6-dot ellipsis.
>
> Wouldn't the Unicode position be that it is just an ellipsis, and a CJK font
> should render it as a six dot one?

Apparently not. If you look at the conversion tables, half
of the CJK ellipsis is "unified" with the English three-dot
ellipsis.

But in any case this unification shouldn't even have occurred,
since the two forms of the ellipsis (even if we take the
position that the three-dot form is a valid CJK ellipsis) are
typographically different. The CJK ellipsis can either be on the
baseline or centred between the descender and ascender, but the
English ellipsis really should only be anchored on the baseline
(one of the reasons why using a CJK font to display English text
looks so ugly)

I don't know why we would have gotten into this mess.
--
cheers,
-ambrose

The 'net used to be run by smart people; now many sites are run by
idiots. So SAD... (Sites that do spam filtering on mails sent to the
abuse contact need to be cut off the net...)