Re: Parent Combinator / Parent pseudo-class

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Stephen <w3mail@jixor.com> wrote:
> That
> said I really think it should be up to a particular author to decide. As we
> do now when deciding to use flash, javascript, big images, etc. So I really
> don't think that performance degradation is any reason at all to discard
> this suggestion.

Flash and JS must have the capacity to be slow because they're
Turing-complete, and big includes will always be slow but are
sometimes unquestionably necessary (for instance, a download service
running over HTTP).  CSS, on the other hand, does not have to be slow
in any respect to fulfill its mission very nicely.

Given that, it seems like a very good idea to allow authors to
correctly believe that whatever CSS they add, it's not going to slow
down page loading very much.  Otherwise conscientious authors would
have to memorize lists of selectors and properties that are slow.
Also, browser authors (or authors of Firebug, etc.) would have to
implement some kind of profiling for CSS, which is currently not
necessary.  It's a significant step back for not really a big gain.
You can always add extra classes, or use JavaScript.