Re: text-overflow: ellipsis

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:

> Not sure that is what you are saying, but I think there should never be
> anything between the ellipsis and the boundary of the box: You lay out
> the lines using the bidi-algorithm, and then remove characters from the
> end of the *visual* lines:
>
>    +-----------------------------------+
>    | This is a sentence with some SDROW| WERBEH inside.
>    +-----------------------------------+
>
> becomes
>
>    +-----------------------------------+
>    | This is a sentence with some SD...|
>    +-----------------------------------+

I think that's what he meant. It's certainly easier to implement and it's
what's implemented in IE (the other browsers aren't really trying to handle
the bidi situation).

Not sure. I would expect an inline block to be treated very much like a
> letter. E.g.:
>
>    +-----------------------------------+
>    |                           3-line  |
>    | Here is a sentence with a  high  i|n the middle.
>    |                           button  |
>    +-----------------------------------+
>
> becomes
>
>    +-----------------------------------+
>    |                                   |
>    | Here is a sentence with a...      |
>    |                                   |
>    +-----------------------------------+

I don't think we should do anything with inline-blocks. In most respects
inline-blocks behave like replaced elements and I think they should here
too.

The principle, I think, is that the ellipsis should be treated as much
> as possible as the letter just before it, because visually they form
> one whole.

I would have liked this to be the case, but there's interoperable
implementation making the ellipsis use the style of the element that had
text-overflow set on it, so that kinda blows that principle out of the
water.

Rob
53:5-6]