Re: [cssom-view] padding edge / border edge for offsetTop/offsetLeft?

Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2008, at 8:04 AM, Alan Gresley wrote:
>
>> Since this is relating to CSSOM and HTML5 which IE8 will not support
>> and since IE8 'doesn't' have the 'hasLayout' hack/bug [1] why not just
>> ignore what IE5~IE7 does. Then the quirks mode of IE9 will be IE8
>> standard mode behavior. This seems the sensible approach for
>> interoperability.
>
> On the general pubic audience site I monitor, about half of the IE users
> are on IE6 (about 35% of our total audience), and accessing during work
> hours. I don't see any mad rush to IE8 anytime soon. It will be years
> before the share of IE6 users (or IE8+ operating in some sort of IE6
> mode) dwindles to insignificance.

That shouldn't matter. Whatever browser usage share is happening now
should not hold future standard support hostage. The spec should be
designed for the future ignoring the mistakes of the past.

At this point in time we have Gecko 1.8~1.9, Safari 3, Opera 9.5 and IE8
all showing great consistency in support of CSS2.1 (some
interoperability is happening now).

Where does that leave us (authors) if the parent with the offset child
sits beside a float? I do not want it to have the layout that Opera 2.7
(or earlier) or IE7 (or earlier) show. I want it to show as Gecko
1.8~1.9, Safari 3, Opera 9.5 and IE8 does now.

If offsetTop/offsetLeft can only work if hasLayout is emulated in all
implementations then these properties must be dropped from CSSOM?

This is why I asked how IE8 offsets div#x (or if this is going to be
fixed in a later beta)?

Alan