Quirks mode (was: Re: [cssom-view] Why is body's offsetParent null ?)

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:31:33 +0200, Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>>> This leaves one question. What quirks mode do you think you have to
>>> emulate with CSSOM?
>>
>> Quirks mode as defined by HTML 5, as indicated in the draft:
>>
>>    http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-view/#background
>
> I'm feeling we are floating away off-topic here, but anyway:
>
> Will HTML5 define the layout rules for "its" quirks mode?
> Or any other spec will?

Some specification will define that at some point, yes. See also:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Mar/0431.html

(Maybe it will be a CSS Module or maybe it will be part of the HTML 5
Rendering chapter. At this point nobody has been really working on it
though for new things that are being defined (and have had deployment in
browsers for some time) we do try to take quirks mode into account.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>