Re: [cssom-view] Why is body's offsetParent null ?

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:53:53 +0200, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
> wrote:
>> So I guess your saying that all implementors will forever want to
>> support quirks mode?
>
> Yes. :-(

And the web development world went ballistic when IE8 once was going to
be backwards compatible by default. They cried out for standards and now
we be drawn back to the mistakes of the past with CSSOM. Can we leave
the past behind us for the benefit of the future and 'interoperability.'

What I mean is no more mercy for coders who are ignorant of the Doctype
switch or who use tag soup.

>> This leaves one question. What quirks mode do you think you have to
>> emulate with CSSOM?
>
> Quirks mode as defined by HTML 5, as indicated in the draft:
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-view/#background

That doesn't answer my question. Let me repeat it. What quirks mode do
you think you have to emulate with CSSOM? The quirks of 3/4s of
implementations or the quirks of that other browser?

Alan