Re: [cssom-view] Why is body's offsetParent null ?

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:22:16 +0200, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
> wrote:
>> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> No, if we followed Internet Explorer we would have to introduce
>>> differences between quirks and standards mode which is currently a
>>> non-goal of the specification. We'd also have to figure out how
>>> hasLayout affects everything as explained in this blog post:
>>
>> Simple then, don't allow quirks mode. Only allow the offset behavior
>> to work in standards mode.
>
> That would be unacceptable to all implementors and is therefore not a
> feasible way forward.

So I guess your saying that all implementors will forever want to
support quirks mode? Wasn't the Doctype switch introduced as a means to
move towards a more stand complaint mode (leaving the mistakes of the
pass behind). CSS0M will be used by implementation now (2008) into the
future. Quirks mode belong in the pass along with implementations being
fuzzy wuzzy with poor or ignorant coding from authors. As you have said
on your blog.

"They have introduced a new way to trigger standards mode that is not
compatible with any other browser. In Internet Explorer 8 you can
trigger standards mode using a Microsoft specific meta element. All
other browsers will render the page in quirks mode."

Quirks mode in IE is very different from quirks mode in other
implementations. Standard mode in IE8 is very similar to the other
implementations quirks modes as oppose to old IE quirks mode.

This leaves one question. What quirks mode do you think you have to
emulate with CSSOM?

Alan