Re: WebFonts ready for use

> The main concern voiced [by font developers] is "casual piracy" where the average
> person simply uses or has fonts installed by web pages without realizing that the UA was
> just being "helpful".

I completely agree, there's a need for a greater understanding of the nature of font licensing.  General statements like "now you can use any font you want" probably freaks out a lot of font designers, as Simon Daniels noted here:

  http://www.typophile.com/node/43971

But there's also a need for font vendors and software vendors who ship fonts to make a better effort to give web designers the ability to answer the question "can I use this font?"  Just saying "look at the EULA" isn't sufficient given the current state of EULA's that cover fonts or software bundled with fonts.

Maybe a discussion of this at the ATypI Conference in September would be appropriate?

Regards,

John Daggett
Mozilla Japan