Re: My solution of webfonts problem

On Apr 19, 2008, at 5:18 PM, Dave Crossland wrote:

> If a local font has the same name as a web font and has wider Unicode
> coverage, and the page includes text that should be rendered by the
> web font with Unicode values beyond its coverage but that are covered
> by the local font, should the UA mix the two?

I would say yes, because font-family, according to the spec, is
supposed to look for the availability of _each character_ by going
down the list of preferred fonts. If the first item on the list is
"Constantia", and there is both an installed version and a @font-face
version, then (if you could verify that they were different) I think
it should be as if the font-family value began with the two versions
of "Constantia" instead of one. Kind of like this:

{font-family: Constantia[web-font], Constantia[system-font], [second
choice font, etc.] }