Re: [css3-webfonts] Downloaded fonts should not...

On Apr 14, 2008, at 10:15 PM, Patrick Garies wrote:

>  I am /for/ downloading fonts through CSS if, by “downloadable”,
> you mean that font files may be cached on a user’s system. I agree
> with any ideas that fonts obtained through CSS should not be
> installed on the operating system for use with other applications or
> in the UA for cross‐domain applications.

Cross-domain fonts would save a lot of downloading if there was a way
to ensure that it was the exact same font, without having to download
it twice. Also, what exactly qualifies as cross-domain? If I have www.mydomain.com
  with a downloadable font, will my users have to download the font
again in order to use it at ordering.mydomain.com? Sometimes third
level domains are all controlled by the same entities, sometimes not.

I'm not sure how the download speed of a Web font compares to, say, a
JPEG (would a font be comparable to a 640x480 JPEG, or 10 such JPEGs,
or 1/10 of such a JPEG, or what?), but my concerns with cross-domain
restrictions and with not letting the font sit in a semi-permanent
cache is that I don't want my desire for accurate font rendering to be
at odds with quick downloading.

It would be nice if the font could be downloaded incrementally, if
doing so would help with the speed. Perhaps just the characters needed
by the page, with additional characters supplied on demand for other
pages, if such a thing were possible. If that is not feasible then
download in blocks: upper, lower, and numbers first, for instance,
then punctuation, then other characters as needed. Perhaps that is
just an implementation detail though. As an author, I am concerned
about what specifying a couple or three downloadable fonts would do to
the download speed of the page, and whether the page will initially
render without the font, as the font downloads. Perhaps David Hyatt
could explain how it works in WebKit?

> I think that licensing, copyright, or other IP issues are outside of
> the scope of CSS work.

I totally agree. CSS doesn't deal with licensing restrictions for
images, music, movies, or other media, so why for fonts? I can see how
an implementor might not want to be perceived as aiding piracy by
making it too easy to use the font in other applications (such as
InDesign or Word), but even if they did enable easy downloading it is
really not worse than being able to download an image or MP3 from the
Web. As an author, I mainly want people to be able to see the font I
specified on a Web page as easily as they see it in some printed
piece[1].

[1] Note to David Wooley: I already am familiar with your "use PDF if
you want that" argument, so no need to rehash it in response to this.