Re: [cssom-view] small update

On 09/04/2008, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

>  On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:44:36 +0100, Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm a bit suprised to hear compatibility with quirks mode being
> > presented as a major argument in a standards discussion :-). HTML5
> > defines how to detect quirks mode, which is fine, but if any serious
> > attempt is to be made to be compatible with quirks mode regarding
> > element positions (as is the subject of offset* props) then you also
> > need to standardize IE's old broken box model, block-displayed IMG:s,
> > ignoring padding for IMG:s etc.
> >

>  Well, I'm hoping IE will fix that in due course.

The truth is IE will NEVER be able to fix it, let alone "in due course". This
kind of thinking is backwards.

The problem with assuming that IE "can fix it" is that IE is not upgradable
on legacy systems, and people are still using legacy systems. 40% of "my"
site's visitors are still using IE 6 and another 40% IE 7, and anyone using
IE 6 will not upgrade to IE 8+ any time soon. Any attempt to standardize
quirks mode must take into account IE's existing behaviour and not
assume that IE can "fix" anything.
--
cheers,
-ambrose

The 'net used to be run by smart people; now many sites are run by
idiots. So SAD... (Sites that does spam filtering on mails sent to the
abuse contact need to be cut off the net...)