Re: [SelectorsAPI] Selector detection needed?

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> There's no reason you couldn't do it on an empty document
> (document.implementation.createDocument() iirc).

It's still an awful hack. Urgh, to say the least. It's like saying
|try { foo() } catch(e) { /* not implemented */ }| is better than
|if (typeof foo != "function") { /* same */ }|.

> It's also not clear
> what advantage there is trying to feature detect first. As we know from
> hasFeature() and all similar mechanisms, user agents lie because of
> unknown bugs, because they need to get some page to work, et cetera.

s/cetera/cætera/ :-)

Anne, you really think we discover this _now_ ? I have always hated this
answer to this question because basically we decide not to implement
something because we feel implementors won't implement correctly...
That's called a free-hand. A license to kill if you prefer.

</Daniel>