Re: Positioned elements

L. David Baron wrote:
> On Wednesday 2007-09-26 21:31 -0500, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>
>> Kornel Lesinski wrote:
>>
>>> I think the latter:
>>>
>>> "The effect of 'position:relative' on table-row-group,
>>> table-header-group, table-footer-group, table-row, table-column-group,
>>> table-column, table-cell, and table-caption elements is undefined."
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#choose-position
>>>
>> I don't recall that being there before.  Must have been added so CSS21 can
>> actually exit CR...
>>

> It was added in response to Issue #20 on the issues list for
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915/ , which, given the lack
> of a URL, was presumably raised by Ian, and concerns what happens
> when the above elements get a stacking context (due to
> 'position:relative' or 'opacity') being undefined.
David and what is the problem with table/cells and position:relative?
Something in principle or just "not-implemented"?

I understand why position:relative makes no sense for table-row
and table-column but for table-cells I see no problems.

I think that table-cell with, let's say, position:fixed really makes
no sense but limitation for position:relative appears as artificial.

Or we just need to declare the whole @position non-applicable for
elements with display other than block and inline-block.
Which is in my opinion significantly better and fair.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com