Re: CSS3-selectors: Pseudo Elements only once or multiple times per selector?

Bjoern Hoehrmann schrieb:
> * Ludger Bünger wrote:
>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css3-selectors-20010126/#pseudo-elements
>> states:
>>

> Note that this is an old version, http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors
> has the same text though.
>

>> "When the ::first-letter and ::first-line pseudo-elements are combined
>> with ::before and ::after, they apply to the first letter or line of the
>> element including the inserted text."
>>

> This issue comes up every now and then, this supposedly refers to
>
>   p::before       { ... }
>   p::first-letter { ... }
>
> rather than p::before::first-letter. We should probably revise the
> text to avoid this confusion.

While you and Mr. van Kesteren convinced me last week that only one
pseudo element is allowed, today I found the following
inhttp://www.w3.org/TR/css3-content/#nesting, where nested  pseudo
elements are explicitly mentioned:

[quote]

        4.2.1. Nesting '::before' and '::after' pseudo-elements

The selector '::before::before' represents a pseudo-element contained at
the start of a pseudo-element contained at the start of an element.

For example, the following rules:

div { content: 'A' }
div::before { content: 'B'; }
div::before::before { content: 'C'; }

[/quote]

Other examples of multiple pseudo element selectors can be found in:

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-content/#mixing and
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-content/#mixing0

So it seems at least the generated content folks felt there is a need
for multiple pseudo-elements upon one selector...

Best Regards

Ludger Bünger

--
Dipl-Inf. Ludger Bünger