Re: Proposal of @ua

Media Queries seems like a natural fit for UA detection. Just as it
detects other specifics of the UA, it would be helpful if it caught
basic AU identification information too, for those times when it is
necessary to send different rules to different user agents (due to
varying levels of support for CSS features). Thus, implementors who
are already working on incorporating Media Queries, or have done so
already, should be able to add a few more media features. For
instance, I would like to be able to do something like this:

@media screen and (renderer:AppleWebKit) and (min-build: 523.11),
screen and (ua:Safari) and (min-version: 3.03)  { ... }

So I would propose this part of the Media Queries Candidate
Recommendation be extended thusly:

media_feature: width | min-width | max-width
   | height | min-height | max-height
   | device-width | min-device-width | max-device-width
   | device-height | min-device-height | max-device-height
   | device-aspect-ratio | min-device-aspect-ratio | max-device-
aspect-ratio
   | color | min-color | max-color
   | color-index | min-color-index | max-color-index
   | monochrome | min-monochrome | max-monochrome
   | resolution | min-resolution | max-resolution
   | scan | grid
   | renderer | ua
   | min-build | max-build | min-version | max-version

Where "renderer" referred to the rendering engine (Gecko,
AppleWebKit, Trident), "ua" referred to the name of the user agent
(Safari, FireFox), "build" referred to the build number of the
rendering engine, and "version" referred to the version of the user
agent. Values would be determined by the software publishers to be
unique identifiers (or shared identifiers in the case of shared
rendering engines).

This this to be useful, it would need to be incorporated into
software ASAP, so it helps that Media Queries is mature and stable,
and that these would just be a few more properties to support.