Re: Proposal of @ua

On Oct 18, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Andrei Polushin wrote:

> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>
>> That is easily can be made by @media (+query) blocks if UAs will
>> identify themselves as correspondent media type;
>>
>> @media screen and trident
>> {
>> }
>> @media screen and gecko
>> {
>> }
>
> What if there will be no rules specific to Gecko, and the page will
> render
> correctly in Trident only? Gecko's users will complain that IE behaves
> "right", and Gecko is "wrong". As a consequence, Gecko will need to
> say that
> it is Trident, and the story never ends.
>
> --
> Andrei Polushin

I think most Web developers would try to avoid that by including a
default version:

@media screen and not trident {
	// rules for everyone else
}

Thus it wouldn't usually be the same as in the days where people were
directed to entirely different pages saying that their browser is not
supported. Usually that sort of thing only happens these days (in my
experience) when the developer knows that a certain browser will have
significant problems with their JavaScript, and a specific browser is
targeted to go to the "we don't support you" page. Also when a
proprietary ActiveX controls are used, the browsers known not to
support ActiveX will get directed away, and spoofing the UA does not
help.