Re: Proposal of @ua

Andrey Mikhalev wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> Andrey Mikhalev wrote:

>>> wrong. just infamous embedded engine supports single mozilla's
>>> extension, nothing more
>> Beg my pardon but what exactly is wrong there?
>> And what is that "infamous embedded engine"?
> i mean vendor of some layout engine may support non-standrd properties
> of another, isn't it? (e.g. to simplify porting/migrating web apps).
> so, in general, you cannot select 'Mozilla only' rules using single
> css property check.
Yes, someone can implement, say, -moz-radius in some other engine.
That is why I think that engine specific rules (a.k.a. @ua) are
conceptually wrong.

If your design requires exactly -moz-radius style then you will use
@media screen and supports(-moz-radius) { }
@media print and supports(-moz-radius) { }
and that will match all engines that support it. Despite any esoteric
reasons why
engine A would want to implement engine B specific attributes.

>>> imo a lot more useful than former in complex production site
>>> maintenance scenario (way to isolate fixes)
>>
>> What exactly is more useful?
>>
>> These:
>> @ua(mozilla, 1800) {  }
>> @ua(firefox, 2009) {  }
>> @ua(gecko, XXXX) {  }
>>
>> ? I doubt that you would want to see this in your CSS.
>>
>> This:
>>
>> @media screen and supports(flow,grid)
>> {
>>  #sidebar { left:1#; top:1#; bottom:3# }
>> }
>> @else
>> {
>>  #body { display: table; }
>> }
>>
>> is more reliable as it will not require future changes when some UA
>> will start or stop to support some feature.
> yes, at the moment of page creation.
> i was talking about web site workarounds for particular browser
> version bugs during maintenance phase. btw, '@else' kills css design.
Why you think @else "kills CSS design" and, say,

@media supports(flow,grid) { ... }
@media not supports(flow,grid) { ... }