Re: [CSS] Expandable background images, proposal

fantasai wrote:
> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>
>> I propose to add 'expand' value to the list of existing values of the
>> 'background-repeat' attribute.
>>
>> background-repeat: expand; is a simple yet powerful way of defining
>> complex backgrounds and borders widely used in modern web design.
>> As an example it will cover almost all cases where rounded corners are
>> required.
>>
>> background-repeat:expand; is defined here:
>>
>> http://www.terrainformatica.com/wiki/doku.php?id=h-smile:expandable-backgrounds
>

> How is this different from the current 'border-image' proposal?
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-background-20050216/#the-border-image

Differences are:

First of all: my proposal does not require new attributes like
border-image you have mentioned.

Second: I am using single image for background and borders. As far as
understand the border-image in the way it is defined is mutually
exclusive with background-image. Or probably I do not understand its
idea enough? E.g. what comes first: rendering of such border-image or
rendering of the background-image? As far as I understand either one of
them shall be drawn on top of another. So what is the point to use them
both?

Usually such expandable borders and background is really a single entity
from graphical design perspective so it is better to define them as a
single image. Expandable image is really a background image by its
concept.
E.g. it is rendered as normal background - in padding box of the element
so can coexist with existing borders. The border-image is again mutually
exclusive with borders: "Specifies an image to use instead of the border
styles given by the 'border-style' properties". This is too limiting.

And yet:
border-image in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-background-20050216/#the-border-image
allows sections to be defined in percents. That is theoretical feature
rather than practical one. At least we never saw this required
in 3 years of background-repeat:expand; use.

The same thing with the 'round' modifier. To be used practically such
roundness shall be implemented as a constraint of dimensions of border
box of the element. In the way it is defined in the border-image it is
not useful at all.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com