Re: [css3-background] background-position relative to other corners

Bert Bos wrote:

>>> That's one option. Another would be to specify which corner we're
>>> positioning relative to. E.g.
>>>
>>> background-position: bottom right 10px 10px;
>>>
>>> That has the advantage that we can position relative to the "start"
>>> edge, i.e. the left side in left-to-right text and the right side
>>> in right-to-left text.
>>>
>>> background-position: top start 10px 10px;
>>>
>>> ~fantasai
>>>
>> I am intrigue by your last suggestion. As I understand it this is
>> mirroring the background image not just aligning it. Would this be
>> correct?
>>

> No, it's just for positioning. Image manipulation has been discussed in
> the past, but the conclusion so far has always been that that should
> not be in CSS (apart from scaling). The argument is that it would
> complicate CSS too much for the average user and that it is easier to
> understand (and more efficient for the Web) to rotate or mirror an
> image *before* putting it on the Web. Scaling is the exception, because
> you often need to scale to em units or percentages, and that can only
> be done in the browser.

I'm relatively new to this list, so it is likely I missed the
conversation on mirroring BG images in CSS.

As a long-term user of CSS, I think rotating BG images would be a great
feature to have in CSS.  I'm never sure what "the average user" means in
any context, but in this particular case I guess I could consider myself
to be one.  And I would much rather learn some CSS syntax for how to
flip the same BG image across /x/ and /y/ and not do this by hand in a
image editor.  How exactly it would be more efficient to scale images by
hand instead of letting the computer do it is hard to see for me.
Having one background image that can be rotated and reused four times
(let's say in four corners of an element) would cut down on HTTP
requests. So I could argue loading one image instead of four would be
more efficient for the Web.  Scaling is less important until SVG can be
used through CSS.

--
Aleksey V Lazar
Website Developer