Re: [CSS21] Case-insensitivity not defined

Hi Fantasai,

Interestingly, this question came up in my review of XmlHttpRequest just
yesterday. I believe that what you want is:

- You want to define it in terms of the Unicode definition.

- You also probably want to define it in deterministic terms, rather
than allowing it to be language sensitive. This means *not* using
SpecialCasing.txt or language-specific tailorings (e.g. the
Turkish/Azerbaijani dotted/dotless i mappings).

I would tend to say that otherwise you want case-insensitivity to apply
regardless of script (for all scripts that have a script distinction).
Or, to address your questions:

fantasai wrote:

> Henri Sivonen brings up the point that ASCII case-insensitivity and
> Unicode case-insensitivity are not the same and that we should define
> what we want for CSS. For example, should WIDTH and WİDTH match?

No, they shouldn't.

> WİDTH and width?

Hmm... probably these should.

> Should Greek identifiers match case-insensitively
> as well?

Yes. And Cyrillic too.

> Accented Latin characters?

Yes.

Yes. See http://www.w3.org/TR/CharModNorm

> a-z and A-Z need to correspond, but beyond that the use of other
> characters in CSS identifiers is limited to mostly to namespace
> prefixes and counter names, neither of which are in widespread use.

Anyway, that's my personal opinion. Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Addison

--
Addison Phillips