Re: W3C CSS Home Redesign RFC

Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:
> I would like to voice my concern with copies of the spec being placed in
> several places. This could quickly become a version control mess. I
> understand the desire to be open, but then the CSS 2.1 spec is already
> published to the public.

I think it's not a serious issue right now, but as we acquire more errata
it could become more important to have the edited copy available. I
remember working with REC-CSS2 + Errata before CSS2.1 was first published,
and it's very easy to forget to check the errata when checking tests and
implementations against the spec.

For the versioning mess issue -- for cases like CSS Namespaces where I've
moved the master copy to dev.w3.org, I've replaced the internal copy with
a pointer to the new location. In other cases like CSS3 Paged Media, where
the master copy is our internal copy, I've left it alone and dev.w3.org
is just a place to publish interim Editors' Drafts for reference and
commenting by the public. No edits are made to the dev.w3.org version: it's
always copied directly from the internal version. For CSS2.1 I'd suggest
this second route.

~fantasai