Re: Apple's Proposal for CSS Transformations

David Hyatt wrote:

>   CSS Transforms

> Authors:
>     Dave Hyatt (hyatt@apple.com <mailto:hyatt@apple.com>), Apple
>     <http://www.apple.com/>
>     Dean Jackson (dean.jackson@apple.com
>     <mailto:dean.jackson@apple.com>), Apple <http://www.apple.com/>
>     Chris Marrin (cmarrin@apple.com <mailto:cmarrin@apple.com>), Apple
>     <http://www.apple.com/>
>
> The CSS visual formatting model
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html> describes a coordinate
> system within which each element is positioned. Positions and sizes in
> this coordinate space can be thought of as being expressed in pixels,
> starting in the upper left corner of the parent with positive values
> proceeding to the right and down.
>
> This coordinate space can be modified with the 'transform' property.
> Using transform, elements can be translated, rotated and scaled in two
> or three dimensional space. A perspective transform can also be
> applied to give a sense of depth to the way elements are displayed. In
> two dimensions, the coordinate space behaves as described in the
> coordinate system transformations
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/coords.html#EstablishingANewUserSpace>
> section of the SVG 1.1 specification. This is a coordinate system with
> two axes: the X axis increases horizontally to the right; the Y axis
> increases vertically downwards. In three dimensions, a Z axis is
> added, with positive z values conceptually rising perpendicularly out
> of the window toward the user and negative z values falling into the
> window away from the user.

Rotation and other transformations makes sense mostly for dynamic
effects as far as I understand the intention.
Isn't it better to add method Graphics.draw(Element) so element could be
drawn on Canvas or on Image with desired
transformations before and after rendering? That would be more universal
solution I guess.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com