Re: [CSS3] Generated content: environment variables

fantasai schrieb:
> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>
>> Ludger Bünger wrote:
>>> Because some do like to have this info in their printouts and others
>>> do not?
>>
>> Some _users_ or some _authors_?
>>
>> For the user, UAs typically provide a preference UI to control this
>> sort of thing.
>>
>> For the author, I don't see why what they like matters; the user is
>> the one who's ending up with the printout.
>
> a) Not all CSS applications are web browsers. PrinceXML, for example,
>    enables the use of CSS for publications like books, manuals, and
> theses.
>
> b) In a web browser the user should be allowed to override the author's
>    header styles, but it is quite reasonable for the author to be able
>    to specify different header content and style if the user doesn't
>    particularly care. For example, the CSS specifications could print the
>    title, page number, url, and official date of publication rather than
>    the date of printing. Driving directions could specify headers with
> the
>    the starting address, ending address, site homepage URL, and date of
>    retrieval and leave out the cropped, unreadable, and useless CGI URL.
>
> ~fantasai

Thank you, Elika, for wording exactly what I indented to say too.

Since our product 'PDFreactor' is a direct competitor of Prince, I was
thinking exactly the same: Media type 'print' applies to far more than
just browsers and there are tons of use-cases for CSS styled 'print'.

And regarding Boris' concerns about users possibly losing control:

Last time I checked the standard, 'user important' stylesheets were the
very highest in the cascade...
I'm not aware anyone ever considered changing this...

Best regards,

Ludger Bünger

--
Dipl-Inf. Ludger Bünger