Re: [CSS3] Generated content: environment variables

Boris Zbarsky schrieb:
> Ludger Bünger wrote:
>> To document the time and date of the webpage printed.
>
> In practice UAs already provide this functionality (putting the URL,
> date, time, etc in page headers and footers when printing).
>
> I'm not sure why this should be under the control of the page author
> rather than (or even in addition to) the user.  Can you explain why
> that's needed?

Because some do like to have this info in their printouts and others do not?

There is nothing wrong with UAs having this already set to their default
print stylesheet.
But not everyone likes this to be always the case while others prefer to
be able to define themself _where_ this should appear...

To be more precise: it depends upon the scenario where you like to have
this upon your documents.

A standard scenario for our CSS based printing solution are companies
creating technical documentation from HTML.
If the documentation is for company internal usage only, you do like to
have this info, esp. the the location, where to find the most recent
version.

However at the very moment where the document is published upon a
website for external retrieval you *do not* want to have it data anymore
by company policy.
So what more simple is there than using a different stylesheet?

Actually exactly this was the *very first* feature request from our
customers: configurable addition of time, date and location of a
document in page margin areas.

So there *is* a real life demand to this...

Best regards,

Ludger Bünger

--
Dipl-Inf. Ludger Bünger