Re: [CSS3] Generated content: environment variables

Gabriele Romanato wrote:
> Dear all,
> one of the most interesting features of generated content lies in
> its capability to display informations that cannot be deducted from
> the document structure (ie. which lie outside the document itself).
>
> I propose a new function for generated content:
> the var() function, that can be used to display informations
> about the environment in which the document is displayed.
>
> These environment variables could be:
>
> 1. path
>    display the current path of the document (an URI)
> 2. date
>    display the current date used on the client.
> 3. time
>    display the current time on the client.
>
> These are the first things that came to my attention. Obviously
> there could be other features. An example:
>
> p::before {
> content: "You are here: " var(path);
> }
>
> The content inserted is always a string, according to what has been
> said about generated content in CSS2 +.
>
> If I've been too generic, please forgive me.

The CSSWG discussed a date() function for 'content' several years ago,
and it's something I was considering adding to the css3-content draft.
For print headers and footers we would also need a url or path function
as well. So I do expect to see some of this functionality in future CSS
drafts.

~fantasai