Re: Cleaning House

Christoph Päper wrote:

> Dão Gottwald, 2007-05-07 in www-html + public-html (Re: Cleaning House):
>> Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis schrieb:
>>
>>> If AT had better support for CSS, and CSS had style selectors, we'd
>>> be in a slightly happier place:
>>
>> Ah, style selectors once again ...
>>
>>   :style("font-style:normal") {
>>     font-style: italic;
>>   }
>>   :style("font-style:italic") {
>>     font-style: normal;
>>   }
>>
>> See what happens?
>
> You are right, this cannot work, but
>
>   foo {
>     font-style: italic;
>     font-style: toggle(italic, normal);
>   }
>
> or some such might, although this still wouldn't give me the possibility
> to tie italics to serif fonts, boldface to sans-serif fonts, underlining
> to handwriting (cursive) fonts and uppercase to monospaced fonts to
> render emphasis.

Correct, but the toggle() actually makes a good chance for CSS3, except
that the WG prefers to call it cycle() instead, because there may be
more than two values. 'font-style: cycle(italic, normal)' would use
italic if the parent was normal and vice-versa. In general,

     cycle(v[0], v[1],... v[n-1])

means to use the value v[i+1 mod n] if the inherited value if v[i].

It's useful for emphasized text inside italic text, but also for cycling
through list bullets, without having to write lots of selectors.

Bert