Re: CSS Generated content selection

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Sergey Ignatchenko wrote:
>> Depends on implementation of paste; if when pasting to HTML, pasting
>> agent will override all properties (or all properties which are not
>> consistent with the place in the document where paste takes place)
>
> That's impossible to do for generated content in CSS 2.1.
As soon as something can be rendered, it can be represented as HTML+CSS
(more or less precisely); yes, it might lead to generated content
becoming non-generated after conversion, but as a user I see it _much_
less evil than complete disappearing of generated content.

Let's consider very simple case: copy-paste of ordered list into plain
text; as a user, I see disappearing numbering as completely
unacceptable. If there are doubts about common perception of this
problem among end-users, I would suggest to conduct a survey (after all,
it is programs that should be made to meet people expectations, not vice
versa).

Sergey Ignatchenko