Re: SVG Color Keywords Applicability

* Patrick Garies wrote:
>Do the "SVG color keywords" [1] apply outside of SVG? For example,
>should they apply in HTML? I would say “yes” since major Web browsers
>currently support them in such contexts, but the example profile for
>HTML 4 [2] excludes SVG color keywords and Section 4.3 [3] has “SVG” in
>the name.
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#svg-color
>[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#profiles
>[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#svg-color

I am not sure why we have these profiles at all, but the purpose of it
is just to say, in the HTML 4 attributes that take a HTML 4 color value
(like the <font color='...'> attribute), you can use the HTML 4 color
values. Note that these profiles are non-normative. What you can use in
HTML attribute values (other than the style='' attribute) is controlled
solely by the HTML specification. As far as HTML 4.01 is concerned, you
can only use the 16 HTML 4 color keywords.