Re: Stylings only possible with Tables

James Elmore <James.Elmore@cox.net> wrote:

>Why not add simple layout to CSS / HTML and incrementally improve it, rather
>than trying to find the perfect solution of the perfect layout system which can
>cover all bases?

We've long past the point where that would have been useful. As I said
before we already have a simple mechanism that can be used to create a
"layout", a HTML table can be used by those who want something that
isn't perfect, it "works" as most people would define it.

>That is what started my thoughts and suggestions for this
>thread. There are things which are possible only with tables, but they are VERY
>complicated to do. Why not allow designers to use some things which tables can
>do, but without the complete table requirements? Things like captions,
>margin-collapsing, border-overlap, constraints on the sizes of block sets, and
>simple extensions to current CSS display-models could help designers make better
>web sites and not demand too much in the way of rewriting every existing browser
>to contain the perfect layout system.

I'm not following, you want the CSS WG to create a new simple layout
system that needs to deal with /complicated/ issues such as the ones you
mentioned above /and/ without having to rewrite browsers to support
this?

--
Spartanicus