Re: Stylings only possible with Tables

  Daniel Beardsmore wrote:

> From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
> James Elmore wrote:
>
> > 1. Allow a CAPTION for block elements. (Not strictly CSS, but I'm not
> > subscribed to the HTML list. Also has CSS ramifications.) I see dozens
> > of possible uses.
>
> I'm not at all sure what this means. Would this be equivalent to the
> title attribute, only as an element? What default presentations would
> you suggest (not specify) for implementers?

This would produce a caption for the block. In tables, captions are placed
either above or below the table itself. The contents of the <caption> </caption>
are displayed between the border and the margin -- the margin is extended enough
on the caption side of the table to permit the location of the text.

Check the HTML 4.01 specification, section 11.2.2 Table Captions, for further
details. I am only suggesting that captions be allowed for all block elements.
Then, if a designer needs to label an image "Figure 42: Flower Macro Photos", or
a quote "From the Berlin Wall Speech by J.F.K" or any of dozens of other uses,
the UA will place the caption and style it the same as a table caption.

The text of the specification also suggests that captions, if used correctly,
may be useful to non-visual browsers.

--
James Elmore
22162 Windward Way