Re: [CSS21] out of range unicode escapes

David Clarke wrote:
> Paul (et Al)
>
> Following  original discussion by the I18N core;
>
> I am proposing that  the correct response to any invalid Unicode escape
> should be to treat it
> as a parse error (see section 4.1.8), in the same way that any other
> invalid or unexpected character would be.
> This would be consistent with current CSS error handling.
>
> For clarity Add this text to 4.1.3 at CSS 2.1
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6>  :
>
>     If the number is outside the range allowed by Unicode (e.g.,
>     "\110000" is above the maximum 10FFFF allowed in current Unicode),
>     then the parser should treat this as parse error and A user agent
>     must ignore a declaration containing this invalid property name or
> value.
>
> see: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#ignore

As Mark pointed out, replacing the invalid Unicode escape with the replacement
character would have that effect anyway, unless it were in a string value such
as for the 'content' property. I think that solution has the advantage of being
much simpler and also doing what we want (making the property declaration etc
invalid) in most cases.

~fantasai