From: w3c-css-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-css-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Boris Zbarsky
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:48 AM
To: L. David Baron
Cc: w3c-css-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: clarification for display vs. position

L. David Baron wrote:
>> * IE7 ignores the original "display" value

A quick and dirty test indicates that this is indeed the case and that
positioning is always done as if the original value were "inline".

I suspect that we could make this change in Gecko, for what it's worth.  It'd
definitely simplify some code!

>> * Opera and Gran Paradiso put "inline-block" and "block" on the next line

Even if we want to keep track of the original display, doing that for
inline-block just seems like a bug.

> I'd thought we added the code to consider the original display value
> to emulate IE/Windows.  [1] suggests that's not the case, but [2]
> suggests it is.

In [2] we basically changed a case where we used to put things on the next line
and changed it to not do that under the conditions of the testcase.  IE seems to
never put things on the next line.

> But they'd probably have seen it without me if you'd posted it to www-style

Amen.

-Boris