Re: [CSS3 Text] punctuation-trim

MURAKAMI Shinyu wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 00:36:07 +1300
> fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>
>> Just to clarify, the 'adjacent' value in 'punctuation-trim' is a
>> replacement for the AXF / old CSS3 Text kerning-mode 'contextual'?
>
> Yes. We implemented the kerning-mode 'contextual' based on the old CSS3
> spec because at that time CSS3-Text was candidate recommendation and we
> did not expect such changes. But I thought the term 'contextual kerning'
> was not intuitive for Japanese punctuation processing and
> 'punctuation-trim' was better for it.

I completely agree.

 > [ http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2006Oct/0155 ]

I have some questions on the definitions you gave.

  1) Should the 'start' and 'end' values apply to inlines or to blocks?
       - if they apply only to blocks, the trimming behavior is set on
         the block and cannot be changed within an inline element
       - if they apply to inlines, then the behavior will inherit from
         the block, but an inline element can turn off trimming at the
         start and end of the lines.

  2) Was the omission of "fullwidth" before "opening punctuation" and
     "closing punctuation" in the definition for 'adjacent' intentional?
        | Fullwidth opening punctuation is trimmed if its previous adjacent
        | character is an opening punctuation or a fullwidth middle dot
        | punctuation.
        | Fullwidth closing punctuation is trimmed if its next adjacent
        | character is a closing punctuation or a fullwidth middle dot
        | punctuation or a fullwidth opening punctuation

  3) In your proposal there are some language-based differences in whether
     ・:;。.、, are considered middle dot punctuations, closing punctuations,
     or neither. Is this a linguistic difference, or is it a reflection of
     how the punctuation is typically drawn (centered vs. to one side)?
     The reason I ask is because I have, for example, a simplified Chinese
     textbook where the periods and commas are drawn centered -- in this
     case, I'm guessing one wouldn't want them to be trimmed as closing
     punctuation.

  4) The middle dot is classified only for Japanese. Is that because it is
     typically only used for Japanese? Should it be classified as a middle
     dot punctuation for other languages as well, if it happens to appear
     in non-Japanese texts for some reason?

  5) Is there a need for specifying 'start' and 'end' separately, or would
     they always be specified together?

~fantasai