Re: [cssom] Update on the CSSOM

As a matter of interest, does the proposal cover the ability for web
page authors to define application specific CSS properties?

The ability to interpret markup extensions has shown its value when
it comes to trying out new ideas, enabling their effectiveness to be
tested on a wide scale before making any decision on the potential
for standardization. CSS has long lacked this ability and that has
hindered experimentation. In principle, you could edit the browser
source code where available, but this tends to be very hard and
further more greatly reduces the number of people able to try out
the new properties. An example is the difficulty involved in
implementing the CSS3 speech properties.

I would therefore like the CSSOM to include support for registering
a new property name together with a handler for parsing the string
value and returning an object that can then be retrieved using the
interface to accessing the computed styles for any element in the
DOM tree. A more sophistocated option would be to provide the CSS
property grammar using the syntax used in the CSS specifications,
but I would be happy with just the simpler solution. Note that the
registation would also cover details such as inheritance and initial
value.