Re: [CSS3 Text] Japanese Iteration Marks

Hi fantasai,

The answer of your question about Japanese iteration marks is found in
the Rule Book:
文字の組方ルールブック
ISBN4-88888-312-2
it is on your site!
http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/discuss/line-breaking/ja/rule-book/

see the rule f of the page 8.
http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/discuss/line-breaking/ja/rule-book/8-9.jpg

f.
くり返し符号(々、ゝ、ゞ、〳〵など)が行頭にくることは許容し、そのま
ま行頭に組む。
[Iteration marks are allowed to appear at beginning of line and they are
put on the beginning of line as is.]

*
もとの字を重ねる方式もある。(ただし、古典物などでとくに原文の表記を
生かす必要のあるときなど、また、地名・人名など固有名詞の場合はこの限り
ではない。)
[There is a way repeating the appropriate character (instead of the
iteration mark). (But this way is not applicable when the original text
is important, for example in classics, or in proper nouns such as place
or person names.]

*
行頭にくることを禁止し、前の行を調整して一字追い出すか、またはくり
返し符号を前行に追い込み方式もある。(以下の例は、前行の字間をあけて一字
追い出している。)
[There is a way not allowing iteration marks at beginning of line, for
that the preceding line are adjusted to push the last character out or
to push the iteration mark in the preceding line. (In the following
example, the character spacing of the preceding line is widened and one
character is pushed out.)]

To sum up, the most common rule: iteration marks are allowed at the
beginning of line as is without any replacing.

There are two optional ways (not so often used).

* replacing to appropriate character (but this way is limited and very
difficult to automate. I think it is not necessary in the CSS spec!)

* iteration marks are not allowed at the beginning of line
("strict" line breaking)

best regards,

--
Shinyu Murakami