Re: Definition of a replaced element

A replaced element is just a "black box" to CSS - the internal
content of that box is defined by something outside CSS. Examples are
SVG graphics as you've pointed out, but also bitmap images, java
applets, flash, and even Text nodes (not immediately obvious, but
makes sense if you imagine each Text node in the DOM as a box, with
an inherent width/height based on the font, the letters and so on).

For example, consider a bitmap image. Although you can specify a
width, height etc. which controls how that box is positioned, there's
nothing you can do in CSS to control the contents of that box. That's
all "replaced element" means.

Cheers... Mike