Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Request for feedback on syntax

On Dec 22, 2007, at 12:13, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:04:24 +0100, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net
> > wrote:
>>   - CSS backslash escapes are not allowed. The host language's
>> escapes
>>     can of course be used. Consider that if you embed Media Queries
>> or
>>     Selectors in a language that uses backslashes for its escapes. If
>>     we imported CSS backslash escapes the situation would be very
>>     confusing there. Also I don't see a use case.

FWIW, this kind of thing happens in practice with regular expression
literals in Java which doesn't have a Python-style "raw" string
literals.

> I think we should consider realistic host languages, not theoretical
> ones. Also, even in theoretical ones you'd like to able to express
> every character sequence (including a CSS escape) otherwise we
> already have issues in theoretical host languages. (Those who use
> comma's, parenthesis or ASCII characters for syntax.)

I think it is relatively safe to assume that realistic host languages
themselves provide an escaping mechanism so that all non-control Basic
Latin characters can be expressed.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi