Re: standard out of the box

Barry Rader wrote:

> Brad,
>
> This is a Problem I deal with every day.
>
> However I do have a very simple solution that I use. The following is
> pretty standard for all websites I work on.

> <!--
> 	@import url("/include/presentation/css/style.css");
> -->
>
> <!--[if IE 7]>
> 	@import url("/include/presentation/css/ie7.css");
> <![endif]-->
>
> <!--[if lt IE 7]>
> 	<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
> href="/include/presentation/css/ie.css" media="screen" />
> <![endif]-->

Well the above gives a clue for one way IE8 can to display legacy "standards mode" or "quirks mode." If it can sniffs out conditional comments a document should display in legacy mode (IE7 engine). Maybe sniffing out * html and *+html or similar in the CSS could also result in the document displaying in legacy mode.

> Not to say this is the greatest way of dealing with things but it does
> do the trick.
>
> When IE8 is released every website I have done in the past 2 years
> should not have a problem. Unless there is some IE8 specific bugs that I
> need to worry about. Then I would be adding the next conditional comment
> in my header.
>
> <!--[if IE 8]>
> 	@import url("/include/presentation/css/ie8.css");
> <![endif]-->
>
> Maybe someone else has a better way of doing this but to me it is simple
> enough to setup and work with.
>
> Barry Rader

This is where I differ. Since IE8 (new layout engine "standards mode") is going to be much more of a standard complaint UA, then conditional comments in the html must go. I see no place in a html document including a doctype where such a trigger could appear. Presumably since a standard complaint IE8 is inferring to standard compliant CSS, then the rightful place for such a trigger is inside a CSS comment. This is something for the IE team to consider since what appears inside a comment doesn't really concern the CSS WG since what appears outside these comment should be of more importance.

Alan

http://css-class.com/