Re: standard out of the box (was: IE Blog: Internet Explorer 8 and Acid2: A Milestone)

On Dec 20, 2007, at 4:41 PM, Paul Nelson (ATC) wrote:

>> So please, do the world a favor... break backward compatibility!!!
>
> I listed to a Chevron representative at the W3C Plenary who stood up
> and said, "We have over 100,000 users using systems based on the
> web. Please don't break backward compatibility." It is easy to say
> to break backward compatibility. However, the reality is that there
> are a number of large organizations who, like Chevron, are not
> willing to (or maybe can't afford to is better said) use the
> browsers that are not concerned about backward compatibility.
>
> Not quite as easy as you say.

Then what is to be done? If there is no possible way to wean these
users off of it, and going cold turkey isn't an option either, we
might as well shut down this mailing list and the W3C itself. The only
other option is for Mozilla or someone else to finally, after many
years of pain, take away most or all of Microsoft's marketshare. Is
that what your employer wants?

Personally, I'm ok with a new doctype, when the time comes. Seems like
we'll need one with html5 anyway. And it will get rolled into the
other browsers quickly enough, that as long as IE has it also, it'll
be no big deal.

John Oyler
john@discrevolt.com