Re: [css3-background] CSS Drop Shadows

Hi Jonathan,

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:19:10 +0100, ~:'' ありがとうございました。
<j.chetwynd@btinternet.com> wrote:

> fantasai,
>
> not quite an answer to what you're requesting, but had you considered
> how CSS drop shadows will be implemented in SVG?

There is no notion of a box in svg except for boundingboxes, and those are
non-transformed geometric boundingboxes. There are several types of
boundingboxes for graphical shapes, and it may be useful to specify which
of them to use - but it's unlikely to be defined fully until SVG 1.2 Full.
The drop-shadow functionality (and more) is already offered by svg filters.

> including SVG fonts I guess?

Maybe you mean the 'text-shadow' property? That could be supported for
text in svg, but again the functionality is already covered by SVG
filters. The 'text-shadow' property is a rather nice shorthand though, and
personally I wouldn't mind if more of CSS was usable in SVG.

> my concern being that the absence of 'border's in SVG creates
> significant accessibility barriers for authors and viewers. whilst it is
> true there are a multiplicity of possibilities, this would have been a
> good place to start, had it been included. as it is it's extremely rare
> to find any visual indication of focus in the wild.

That may be something that the CSS and SVG WG:s should work out together,
but it's rather far-reaching since SVG doesn't use the box model for
layout. This means that CSS would have to be more open to allowing other
languages to define what is meant by "box" (or various types of boxes). I
don't think that's an easy task, since CSS is currently very much geared
towards the box model (HTML).

> could CSS drop shadows help?

Same thing as for other types of borders or anything using the box model.

http://my.opera.com/macdev_ed