Re: CSS Generated content selection

Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> Okay, it that was a bad guess then. I still think you should though, because
> this behavior is unexpected and surprising to the user.

It's tough.  In some serialization formats (e.g. text/plain) you might want the
capitalization from text-transform, and the generated content.  In other
serialization formats (e.g. text/html) you don't want either (but do want to
carry over the styling, probably... somehow).  But then what happens if I select
some HTML and paste it into a different HTML document, and only pick up the
:before content but not the :after content in my selection?  Or if I only seect
part of the :before content (and maybe some of the actual text)?  How should
that be copied into a different HTML document?

> That Gecko can't do it with it's current design is a not an excuse.

Sure.  The problem is that it's not clear what the "right" behavior is, and
hasn't been for at least 8-9 years now.  It's not really worth trying to rip up
this code until there's a plan for how this should work, and there isn't one yet.

-Boris