Re: [css3-namespace] XML Core WG's review

On 9/8/06, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
> On Friday, September 8, 2006, 8:42:19 PM, Anne wrote:
>> I tend to disagree. CSS is intended for all tree-based markup languages as
>> I understand it, not just XML.

Anne is correct.

> Feel free to create a specification to describe the special features of
> any such theoretical tree-based language, should one come along and see
> actual use in some theoretical future.

For what it's worth, I'm indeed feeling free to do so; it's called
HTML5 and the current plan will likely lead to HTML5's parsing model
potentially ending up with multi-namespace DOMs. I expect HTML5+CSS to
see more active use in the real future than XML+CSS, at least when it
comes to end-users browsing content reachable from any Internet node.

> This particular one is about using CSS with XML.

I see no reason to limit it in that way. Doing so would dramatically
reduce the overall usefulness of the specification.

Personally, I would recommend to the editors remove the sentence
saying that the XMLNames11 terminology is being used, and instead
define their own terminology (keeping the terms as compatible as
possible, preferably identical, of course).

--
Ian Hickson