Re: input element - absolute positioning - determing width with left and right

"Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

>>> <input type="text" style="position: absolute; left: 0; right: 0;">
>>>
>>> How should that be rendered?
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/conform.html#conformance
>> "CSS 2.1 does not define which properties apply to form controls and
>> frames, or how CSS can be used to style them. User agents may apply CSS
>> properties to these elements. Authors are recommended to treat such
>> support as experimental. A future level of CSS may specify this
>> further."
>
>So form controls are currently treated a bit like replaced elements, much
>like images and per the specification they should just get their intrinsic
>width for the above case.

As I read the quote from the spec there is no recommended behaviour
(should) under CSS 2.x rules. Browser behaviour varies, Opera and IE
behave one way, Gecko another, regarding form elements afaics none are
wrong. (FF 1.5 does behave in a non spec compliant manner when such
styling properties are applied to an image.)

I presume that a form element is considered a replaced element, I'm not
sure if they are considered to have intrinsic dimensions, afaics the 2.1
WD is ambivalent on this:

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/conform.html#q1
States: "Replaced elements *often* have intrinsic dimensions:"
And: "In CSS 2.1 it is assumed that *all* replaced elements, and only
replaced elements, come with intrinsic dimensions."

(Emphasis mine)

--
Spartanicus

(email whitelist in use, non list-server mail will not be seen)